Summer in L.A. can mean higher than normal temperatures that can sometimes be hazardous or dangerous, especially for children, pets, people who work outside, and people with certain health conditions.
Staying safe in high heat is important. Follow these simple tips to stay cool:
- Drink plenty of cool water! Stay hydrated.
- Wear loose, light-colored clothing that will keep you cool. Wear sunscreen and a hat for protection.
- Check on neighbors who might be vulnerable to the heat, especially those without air conditioning.
- Never leave children or pets in a car – not even for one minute. Temperatures inside a car can quickly skyrocket to deadly levels.
- If you work or play outside, take frequent breaks to hydrate and cool off in the shade.
- Don’t forget your pets! Keep pets indoors if possible. If kept outside, give them plenty of water and shade to rest in.
- Symptoms of heat-related illness include dizziness, fatigue, faintness, headaches, muscle cramps, and increased thirst. If you experience these symptoms, seek medical attention.
Additionally, if you can’t find a safe space to cool off, the City has implemented Cooling Centers throughout the County of Los Angeles. Cooling centers are open and available during regular hours of operation unless otherwise noted. The City Department on Disability works to provide reasonable accommodation to ensure accessibility and effective communications for people with disabilities and others with access and functional needs at cooling centers.
You can call 3-1-1 from within LA City or use the links below to find out more about cooling center locations and hours of operation.
Patrons are encouraged to call ahead to check availability- COVID-19 social distancing requirements have resulted in a reduced capacity at the sites.
All centers will operate following LA County Public Health’s Guidelines for Cooling Center Operations.
Canoga Senior Center
7326 Jordan Ave
Canoga Park, CA 91303
Sherman Oaks East Valley Adult Center
5056 Van Nuys Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
Slauson Multipurpose Center
5306 South Compton Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90011
Information regarding City facilities is available:
- By calling 3-1-1
- By calling the Recreation and Parks Public Information Office at (213) 202-2700
- Or by visiting www.laparks.org
- COVID-19 related questions and comments, please call 213-978-1028 or 311.
Please read more here.